This week Luke and I attended our first class at the library together! Our local library offers some fun little classes for babies, toddlers, and preschoolers. Our first class featured several fun songs and books promoting "print awareness." Have you heard of this?
Print awareness is basically just understanding that the printed word has meaning. It also means that one understands how a book works.
Here are some tips shared by my library to help your little one learn print awareness.
- Hold, open, and read the book in front of your child (teach them how the book works.)
- Track the words as you read (with your finger.)
- Draw attention to book parts (front, back, cover, etc.)
- Point out print in the environment (on shirts, in the store, anywhere!)
- Encourage scribbling and drawing.