Friday, March 7, 2008

Inexpensive Entertainment - Shopping

To continue our series on inexpensive entertainment I thought we should discuss shopping!
I remember the days when I used to go to the mall with a friend and shop for fun! We would of course come home with something new, maybe a new shirt or who knows what! How things have changed!

These days I still enjoy a shopping trip every now and then, but I really don't enjoy spending that much money at the mall! So what do I do when I feel like shopping but don't want to bust the budget?

- Shop secondhand
I have honestly found that half of the fun is in finding the great deal! Challenge yourself to find just what you are looking for at a thrift store and you will save yourself a bundle! There are probably many local thrift stores for you to browse through so you will never be bored! Learn what thrift stores have the best deals in your area or even sales or other benefits. The store down the street from my house gives away free bread products once a week!

- Shop Garage sales
When garage sale season hits feel free to browse to your hearts content! Just remember to stick to the amount you have to spend! Feel free to try to bargain for items. I am not a huge "bargainer" but I have learned to ask if they will take a bit less then they are asking for at garage sales. Often people say yes.

- Shop at CVS and Walgreens for deals
CVS and Walgreens both offer items that are "free" in a sense that you either earn a coupon or get a rebate back for the full purchase amount. Often you can actually make money from these deals by using a coupon with your purchase! Here are some great posts from Money Saving Mom on how to begin shopping at Walgreens and CVS!

So it is possible to still enjoy a shopping trip out even when you are on a limited budget. Just remember to know how much you have to spend and alter your shopping route to include thrift stores, garage sales, and great deal stores like CVS and Walgreens! Have fun shopping!

For more great frugal tips visit Biblical Womanhood!

1 comment:

*carrie* said...

Jamie,

I agree. My shopping habits have changed considerably over the years. I really enjoy shopping at garage sales and thrift stores!