Friday, February 8, 2008
Inexpensive Entertainment - Pizza Night
I don't think it would be possible to write a series on inexpensive entertainment without mentioning pizza! If you are like most Americans you probably love having a pizza on Friday or Saturday night to celebrate the weekend! Our family is no exception to that rule, but instead of ordering a pizza we normally make our own to save some money!
Here are a few tips for you:
- Prepare your own crust to maximize savings. If you do not like to bake, it would still be cheaper to buy a pre-made crust at the store and then add the toppings yourself!
- An added bonus of making your own pizza is that it is much healthier for you. You control the amount of cheese and toppings. You can also try replacing some of the all purpose flour with whole wheat flour. I have tried replacing 1/3 of the flour with whole wheat with good results!
- Buy shredded mozzarella cheese in bulk and store it in the freezer until the day you plan on using it. It will thaw enough to use. Make sure you put it back in the freezer once you are through with topping your pizza!
- Try adding some freshly pressed garlic to the crust for an extra treat.
- Go easy on the sauce! I have found that a 8 oz. jar of tomato sauce is enough for 2 pizzas! I just use plain tomato sauce or sometimes tomato sauce with a few Italian spices mixed in.
- Find a recipe you love! The recipe I use most often use doesn't even need a rising time, which is great if you are short on time as I often am!
- Be creative with toppings! Though some of our favorites are just plain cheese or pepperoni I like to try something new once in awhile. Recently we tried barbecue chicken pizza! Next on my list is to make a taco pizza! Yum!
- You can use a simple pizza pan to bake the crust or invest in a nice pizza stone for really great results!
- My final tip is to always make more pizza then you think you need! It is a favorite leftover at our house!
Visit Biblical Womanhood for more inexpensive ideas!