Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Banana Bread with a Twist




Today is Kitchen Tip Tuesdays over at one of my favorite cooking sites, Tammy's Recipes. Have you ever tried using orange juice in your banana bread? Let me tell you, it is a good idea! I was given this recipe for banana bread at my bridal shower and it is fabulous! If you already have a favorite banana bread recipe try substituting orange juice for the liquid for a nice change and nutritional boost.

1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
1/2 cup orange juice
3 bananas
1/2 cup nuts (optional)

Mix dry ingredients. Combine with others. Add mashed banana. Bake at 325 - 1 hour in 2 greased loaf pans. Enjoy!

6 comments:

Katie Gregg said...

Sounds delicious. I'll have to try that the next time I have some orange juice.

Martha said...

I will have to try this. Sounds great. Thanks for the tip.

Blessings,
~Martie

Anonymous said...

Orange juice also works well in cornbread recipes! I had never thought to use it in banana bread, but now I can't wait to try it. Thanks!

Grace,
Mae

Jamie - Family Focused Fun said...

Thanks for the tip about cornbread Mae! I would never have thought of that!

Tami said...

I put crushed pineapple in my banana nut bread. Makes it very moist and it tastes great.

Jamie - Family Focused Fun said...

Wow! Crushed pineapple! Thanks for the tip Tami!